Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Photo Gallery: John Murray vs Jonathan Thaxton

Last weekend in Manchester, rising young star John Murray took on veteran Jonathan Thaxton for the vacant British lightweight title.

Photographer Justin McKie was ringside at the Altrincham Leisure Center to capture all the action from the much anticipated lightweight contest.

Jonathan Thaxton vs John Murray

Photos © Justin McKie - Click on the images to enlarge.

Trainer Dominic Ingles puts the finishing touches on tough Norwich southpaw Jonathan Thaxton's hand wraps.

After 44 pro fights in a career spanning 17 years, the former British and European champion promised that win or lose, this would be it.
Manchester's John Murray entered the vacant British title contest looking to re-claim the belt he lost on the scales last time out.

Below - The undefeated 24 year old pressure fighter warms up on the pads with trainer Joe Gallagher.
With both Thaxton and Murray always willing to mix it up, the packed Leisure Center was buzzing in anticipaton as the two lightweights prepared to make their way towards the ring.

Thaxton did most of the punching in the opening frame as Murray seemed content to patiently edge forward behind his high guard.

The 35 year old southpaw circled away from his younger foe, while picking his spots to attack.
Murray upped his intensity in the second round, stinging Thaxton with a hard right early in the frame. The younger man pressed his advantage, aggressively flurrying with both hands.
Thaxton hung tough, but it was quickly becoming apparent that Murray was too sharp.

Sensing his edge, Murray kept coming hard, absorbing Thaxton's best counters without blinking, while dishing out most of the punishment.

Murray follows through on a hard right hand.

By the third round, the undefeated rising star had his full offensive arsenal - jabs, hooks, right hands - all working effectively.

Murray lands a crunching right hand. The shot prompted referee Howard Foster to jump in after Thaxton staggered backwards towards the ropes.

Many in attendance felt the stoppage - 2:30 of round 4 - may have been too soon, but with the bout becoming increasingly one sided, it was hard to find too much fault with the referee's decision.
John Murray - now 28-0 and once again British lightweight champion.